UAS footage of divers surveying the area around HMNZS Manawanui on the Southern Coast of Upulo in Samoa earlier this year. Photo: New Zealand Defence Force
The Defence Force says no charges have yet been laid over the sinking of the Manawanui last year.
Multiple failures of the crew, the ship, and the Navy itself were identified in an official inquiry into last October's sinking.
The $100 million survey ship continues to rest underwater at a reef off Samoa.
The NZDF, asked by RNZ if any personnel had been charged, said on Thursday "investigations are ongoing and no charges have been laid at this point".
RNZ lodged Official Information Act (OIA) requests for more information about the sinking, pollution and salvage, but the force took five months to identify just a single document - then withheld it.
"The information provided within it was provided by the government of Samoa on basis of confidence," it said.
The Manawanui's anchor is seen on the reef shortly after the vessel went down last October. Photo: Ministry of Works Transport and Infrastructure Samoa
Asked for copies of any reports about the impacts of the ship's leaking fuel on the ocean and reef, the NZDF said it did not do any environmental testing itself.
It had obtained test reports, but it also withheld these because they came from the Samoan government.
Both OIA requests regards the Manawanui were lodged by RNZ in March. The response came in August.
In the meantime, the NZDF had mislaid one for several weeks and then hit other delays.
"I apologise for the significant delay in providing this response," the chief of staff wrote.
"Unfortunately, as a result of a high volume of work, staff illness and absence, and a reduction in staffing, this request was not actioned when it was received."
Consulting foreign and other agencies about the OIA "took much longer than anticipated" too, Motley said.